WorldCALL2023 – CALL in Critical Times
November 09-13, 2023 | Held in Chiang Mai, Thailand (and online)
Welcome to The 6th WorldCALL Conference (WorldCALL2023), held in partnership with The International Academic Forum (IAFOR), and in association with the Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), Confédération Européenne des Centres de Langues de l'Enseignement Supérieur (CercleS), the European Association for Computer-Assisted Language Learning (EUROCALL), the International Association for Language Learning Technology (IALLT), the Korea Association of Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning (KAMALL), and the Japan Association for Language Education and Technology (JLET).
WorldCALL is the worldwide professional association for teachers and educators interested in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL). WorldCALL aims to enhance computer-assisted language teaching and learning in the global community by bringing together educators from around the world. As an international association, WorldCALL provides a worldwide platform for the promulgation of innovative research, development and practice in education and training; enhances the opportunities for knowledge and skills transfer to nations currently underserved in the area of CALL; and serves as a forum for exchanging information and forging professional relationships among educators, researchers and industry leaders from around the world. WorldCALL has held an international conference every five years since its first conference in Australia in 1998. Since then, conferences have been held in Canada in 2003, Japan in 2008, Scotland in 2013, and Chile in 2018.
We look forward to seeing you in Chiang Mai, Thailand and online!
Professor Ana Gimeno
Chair, of the WorldCALL 2023 Conference Steering Committee
WorldCALL2023 has accepted presentations from 39 countries and territories: Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Egypt, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, and Vietnam!
Call for Papers
The theme of the conference, "CALL in Critical Times" includes the following subthemes:
- - The use of mobile technologies, such as tablets, iPads, smartphones etc., to provide flexibility and access to language learning opportunities.
- - Development and design of applications that cross geographical, physical, psychological and financial boundaries.
- - The use of social networking technologies by language teachers and learners to share expertise, knowledge and information both nationally and internationally.
- - Growing innovation through collaboration across international institutions
- - Growing diverse online communities of language learners/teachers.
- - Working collaboratively to adapt and disseminate innovation favouring use by practitioners separated by geographical location or culture.
- - Developing theoretical frameworks, models, principles, and guidelines for the development of CALL innovation with a view to the longer term.
- - Identifying priorities of particular languages, groups and/or regions, with a view to increasing collaboration and growth.
- - Evolving national and international government priorities that impact upon the overall use of CALL.